Badging the Map Editor Application

Support for DataSlave

Moderators: Tom, ian

Badging the Map Editor Application

Postby REESEMI » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:16 pm

I am a little confused relating to this section of the documentation. Is it my understanding that "Badging the Map Editor Application" means customizing the splash,title bar and about dialogs in the "DataSlave.MapEditor.exe" when it executes? You also reference the source code in the SDK as the method for doing this. The only samples I can find are the samples folder? Which one do I load and when I load them individually, all projects load? Also, I am getting the following error in my project when I load and update the projects:

'Baycastle.DataSlave.TableFunctions.Transform.Properties' is a 'namespace' but is used like a 'type'C:\Program Files\Baycastle Software Ltd\DataSlave\SDK\Samples\Transform Function Sample\MyAppendProperties.cs 57 25 Transform Function Sample

I environment is

VS2008 .
Vista 32bit.

Michael
REESEMI

Re: Badging the Map Editor Application

Postby ian » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:12 pm

I will arrange for some further support from a developer with greater skills than myself, but this may be a few days. My apologies for the delay. Can I also suggest that you email us at support so we can give this query a support number.

There is a resource file that allows you to change the links shown from the Help file and in the licensing dialog boxes.
ian

Postby REESEMI » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Ok,

I tried to follow these instructions by removing the Map Resource Sample from the other samples project. Rebuilt the DataSlave.MapEditor.Resources.dll. My assumption is that this should be replaced in the Map Editor folder?? I did that and the Map Editor crashed during the loading phase??

Is the objective of the "Badging The Map Editor Application" to allow the Map Editor application to load with our company information reference and not show Baycastle??

Instructions.
The Map Editor application can now be badged by third parties. This allows the application’s product
name and bitmaps to be changed to fit in with a corporate identity or enterprise suite for example. To
badge the application simply modify and rebuild the ‘DataSlave.MapEditor.Resources.dll’ assembly to
suite your needs, and then simply replace the default assembly. The source code for this assembly is
installed by the SDK install.
REESEMI

Postby Tom » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Follow the steps below to create a new Map Editor resource assembly :-

1) Open the sample Map Editor Resources source code project and make relevant changes.
2) Open the assemblyInfo.cs file (located in properties folder) and set the assembly version number to that of the current DataSlave installation. You can find out this version number by locating the DataSlave.MapEditor.exe assembly and right clicking, then looking at the File or Product verison on the Details tab. The current release is 2.2.2.91.
3) Set the build configuration to Release - x86.
4) Open the EditorDialog.cs file, and copy the entire UpdateServiceUrl method and rename it to UpdateUrl.
5) Build the project.
6) Copy the output DataSlave.MapEditor.Resources.dll into the DataSlave/MapEditor folder, overwriting the existing one.
7) Run the Map Editor.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby AndyS » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:38 pm

I followed steps 1 thru 7 as suggested and succeeded in partially re-branding the DataSlave MapEditor.

As regards the Help Menu, The Help\About now shows my company's assemblyInfo changes(except for the About.png and Splash.png images, which we are creating to replace Baycastle's).

But I cannot see where\how to affect the "Welcome to DataSlave" screen that asks if you want to Watch a Demo; View the Tutorial; etc.

I can see where to turn that off from Tools\Options on Start-Up so that it no longer pops, but what if I want to re-brand that?

Additionally, I have re-branded most of the UserGuide by editing the 100's of .htm files.
How to Recompile the DS_User_Guide.chw?

Lastly, after following the steps to rebuild the DataSlave.MapEditor.Resources.dll, none of the controls\functions show the [Help] button on their pages.
How do I get that [Help] button back?
Last edited by AndyS on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyS

Postby ian » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:55 pm

You need to download the Microsoft Help Workshop. This is free. I use version 4.74. As an alternative there are 3rd party applications that will build CHM files. The Microsoft tool is rather crude, but does the job. The 3rd party tools I have looked at are perhaps more feature-rich.

I am unsure about the Welcome to DataSlave. I think the only option may be to change the XML file on install to not show this (as if turned off by the user). I will check and post more.

As for the Help links, have you renamed the files? The Help links rely on the name of the page in the CHM file. There may be another explanation and I will investigate further.
ian

Postby AndyS » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:01 pm

I did not rename the help files. I just edited them using Notepad++.
However, I did discover why the Help button was not showing.
In the SDK's [MapEditor Resource Sample] library project, there is a class (EditorDialog.cs) in which there is a ShowHelp property that must return true for the Help Button to show. It is defaulted to false. By switching that to true and release building that DLL again, I get the Help button back on all controls.
I also downloaded the HTML Help Workshop v.4.74.8702 and was able to open the DS_User_Guide.chm file and recompile it. Now the UserGuide is nearly re-branded (absent for a few image files - About.png and Splash.png).

Now I need a way to re-brand the Welcome Screen and the code to re-brand (and recompile) the Demo2.exe.
Your help is most appreciated.
AndyS

Postby ian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Sorry, I now remember. Because our partners may not want to re-brand the Help File we added the capability of turning off the help links from the application.

The movie is perhaps an issue. You may want to re-capture one.

The splash and about images are included with the MapEditor Resource sample so that you can replace them with your own images
ian

Postby AndyS » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Not quite sure why this step was needed:

Open the EditorDialog.cs file, and copy the entire UpdateServiceUrl method and rename it to UpdateUrl.

Can you explain why that is needed?
Thanks
AndyS

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Basically the step was just a quick way to get the assembly to build and work with the Map Editor executable. The UpdateServiceUrl property should point to a ASP.NET web service that provides a couple of methods related to determining the latest release version number and url of a web page describing the latest version to download. The UpdateUrl property can be used to override the URL returned from the web-service. This url is shown on a small dialog shown if a newer version was found to exist.
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Support