Write Objects need replacement when changing servers

Support for DataSlave

Moderators: Tom, ian

Write Objects need replacement when changing servers

Postby blackice » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:30 am

Folks,

Let's say you have a map with a Read object, bunch of other objects, then a Write object. You use that on machine 1 that has Server A, Database B. Now, you migrate that map across environments, so you are now using it on machine 2. Machine 2 uses Server B, Database C (identical from Database B just a different name). You use the properties of the Read objects and change all the information. But when you get to the write object properties, you change the server name (and password if needed), click on Next and the object (Access as an example) and the object will try and find Database B. Since it doesn't exist, rather than tell you that and let you go to the next page and change the database name, it keeps you on the server page and never let's you past. So there's no ability to do anything except drop another Write object onto the map and start all over.

This is not using DataSlave, but using an app built with the SDK. Is there a fix for this, is there anything programatically we can do? The object shouldn't just stay on the server page and be unusable.

Thanks in advance,
Matt R. Cole
blackice

Re: Write Objects need replacement when changing servers

Postby ian » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:52 pm

The Map Editor offers the DBC file to do substitution to help with this kind of change. I am not sure how this will operate with the sdk, but you might experiment.
ian

Postby blackice » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:37 pm

OK, is there a documented process or format for the dbc file where I can create one? Any documentation or samples you have would be helpful.
blackice

Postby blackice » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 pm

On another note, it would seem that the object itself should stop working because it cannot find the database. I would think that in this case, you could go to the next wizard page and simply start over selecting your db?
blackice

Postby ian » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:44 am

Documentation is provided with the User Guide for the Map Editor.
ian

Postby ian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:17 am

If the properties of, for example, a SQL Server Read are opened while the database server is unavailable the list of available tables will be blank.

After a timeout the user is presented with this blank list.

I expect that the same behavior is reflected when using the SDK and your own application. However can I suggest that you contact support with details of the issue. Support for the SDK is provided through our support function and generally not through the forum.
ian

Return to Support