Oracle support

Some tips for the use of DataSlave

Moderators: Tom, ian

Oracle support

Postby ian » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:36 am

DataSlave version 2.1 introduces support for Oracle databases.

The Oracle Read and Write objects will be shown if DataSlave finds ODAC installed on the machine.

We carried out our testing with ODAC version 10.2.0.2.21.

This is found at the following URL:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odpnet/utilsoft.html

Download the file: ODAC1020221.exe

Another customer reports that they have encourntered no problems against an Oracle 11g Database using ODAC 11.1.0.7.20. Thank you for the feedback.
ian

Re: Oracle support

Postby dwyl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:32 am

I am currently evaluating your product for a proof of concept of ETL scenario.
I installed Oracle Express and ODAC version 10.2.0.2.21. The Read/Write Oracle appears but if I try to use it, I get an ORA-12514 TNS Error when I try to make a Connection .
I am missing usefull hint in the Online Help what is meant with Data Source in the Connection Dialog. I had set up an ODBC Driver and I tested it with TNSPING and it worked.

First: can someone tell me what should be entered as the Data Source.
Second: can someone tell me how to create this Data Source and how to test if it works.
At leat: I would like to have a example which show how Oracle Import/Export works, e.g. with the HR-Sample delivered by Oracle.

Thanx
dwyl
dwyl

Re: Oracle support

Postby ian » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:05 am

This post is a series of notes made while establishing a connection to the free edition of Oracle. Please note that these may not be correct and any assistance in correcting these notes would be appreciated.

For ODAC 10:

Install ODAC on the client machine.

Use the Oracle Net manager on the client as shown in the attached pictures.

Do not forget to open firewall in Server

The server setting in the DataSlave Oracle object properties will be ip address/xe.

You may also want to check the two ora files after changing the name of the server: C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora and tnsnames.ora

For ODAC 11:
With ODAC version 11 there appears to be no need to configure with Net Manager and it does not seem to be included in the install. Just use the server address of ip_address/xe
Attachments
Setup ServiceName.jpg
Setup ServiceName.jpg (38.94 KiB) Viewed 6628 times
Setup Listener.jpg
Setup Listener.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 6628 times
ian

Return to Tips